Saturday, November 14, 2020

Yesterday Was a Good Day


Yesterday Was a Good Day

Mark Katsouros

November 14, 2013


Yesterday was a good day.  Yeah, I know it was Friday the 13th, in 2020, but I've never been one for superstitions.  I ran five miles first thing in the morning (self-care), made progress on starting a talent roster for those among our recent RIF who would like to be included on such a thing (http://talent.katsouros.com), was visited at my home by two colleagues/“ex-employees,” and received several “How ya doing?” calls, texts, and emails from other colleagues/ex-employees.   One of my colleagues, after reading some of my recent recommendations (http://home.mchsi.com/~katsouros/resume/full-resume.pdf#page=23), simply said, “Damn, that’s some testimonial goodness, man!”  I couldn’t agree more.  And it’s been awfully nice to be on the receiving end of so much supportive outreach and gratitude, particularly from members of the teams I had the privilege of leading over the last decade.

I also had several companies and universities reach out to me about some good opportunities, and had a very deliberate conversation with my wife and son about what we want out of the “next step,” as interviews mount, references are requested, and opportunities are becoming real.  I’m not one to leave someone in the lurch, meaning that I’m not going to commit to a new gig, and then “uncommit” because an overall better opportunity comes along soon afterwards.  This is a difficult balance to strike when one finds oneself unemployed during a global pandemic.  To turn down a serious offer under these circumstances because it’s not the optimal fit/opportunity requires thoughtful introspection, optimism, self-confidence, and faith in the future.  Lucky for me, I possess plenty of these things, a large support network, and an abundance of good fortune.  I’m confident all will be okay.  And I look forward to the next opportunity to tackle new challenges, develop others, innovate, continue to learn and grow, and make new meaningful connections.  Yesterday was a good day, and I am truly a lucky man.


Mark Katsouros was the Director of Voice & Video at the Pennsylvania State University.  He is now a free agent, looking for another exciting opportunity to make a difference in people's lives and in the world.  Mark can be reached at "mark@katsouros.com".



No comments:

Post a Comment